Candidate Driven Market – Safer Hand Solutions Blog by Holly GoodwinIt’s not just Safer Hand Solutions that have been staring at the job boards blankly, asking “Where are all my candidates at?” – there seems to be a continuous trend across all recruitment of a shortage in qualified and actively-searching candidates.
But what does Candidate Driven Market mean, and how can you adapt?
Candidate Driven is essentially what it says on the tin – the candidates are in the driving seat as there are more open vacancies than there are people actively searching.
The applicant can therefore be a lot more conscious of who they interview with and where they accept – so it’s crucial that a company plays to their strengths and understands how they can best attract the right individual.
A few reasons could explain this slow down, mostly surrounding the recent pandemic.
· Furlough scheme is still in place until September meaning if something happens, those in roles currently have the security of being eligible.
· A lack of trust in the economy, with the news of several redundancies and company closures it may not be wise to move.
· EU workers who have, as of yet, been unable to return to the country due to Covid restrictions.
· Covid itself – is now the right time for those classed as vulnerable to move environment.
· The sudden rise in open job vacancies has been incredibly dramatic.
According to a recent report from the Recruitment & Employment Confederation (REC), there were 211,000 new job adverts posted in the first week of July 2021 – up from 181,000 in just May and only 81,455 in January.
Which, coupled with the availability of workers dwindling, has resulted in a huge discrepancy across the board.
As an employer, it may be time to review your process and increase your desirability to stand strong in the marketplace and attract those high calibre candidates.
· Review your recruitment process – are you moving quick enough to keep up?
· Compromise on what it is you’re looking for, from a candidate – don’t set your expectations too high and too limiting.
· Understand the market you’re recruiting in and get to know your recruitment competition.
· Review your salary package – are you offering above or below the average? Do you offer anything additional such as bonus, hybrid working, COVID safe operations, flexible working?
· Review your interview techniques – are you showcasing the best parts of the company or putting people off?
· Do you need the support of an agency to consult you, on your best way forward?
· Be creative in your search – LinkedIn, Facebook, and even TikTok are becoming popular ways to attract those dormant candidates. Be a presence!
Once you have the perfect strategy calculated, you should find it easier to attract the right person. But don’t panic! We at Safer Hand Solutions are here to help and answer any questions you might have to help you get there.
Call us today on 01782 438115 (option 2) and ask for Holly, Rebecca or Jo.
Trackback from your site.